gut health 101
By now, I'm sure you've heard of the gut-brain connection. And if you haven't I'll give you a sweet little summary. The gut and brain are more intertwined than we ever thought. And according to research, the gut can actually affect your behavior and outlook on life.
Because of this, I put a lot of work into my gut health. And no, you don't have to buy a million supplements to work on your gut. Although some supplements help, gut health isn't corrected by supplements alone.
start in your home
did you know that bad tap water and environmental toxins can impact your gut health? I try to ensure that my home is as pure as possible which is why I use a water filter to eliminate lead, chlorine, and other toxins from my water. In addition, I use a shower head filter. Like mentioned, there are so many toxins in our water and I don't want them all over my body. You can shop for these two items below!
OK, here is where I will include supplements that have personally helped me in my gut health journey.
- collagen - rich in protein and supports your hair, nails, joints, and of course, the gut.
- aloe vera - juice it, buy it in a capsule, do what you have to do but consume it!
- a durable probiotic - I go for a soil-based probiotic which I have linked below. a fun fact: it's not the quantity of the strains but the quality of the strains. We tend to look for the highest potency but this doesn't matter is the strains aren't live!
this is a big one! Gut health can start right in your kitchen. The foods that I consume daily include...
- bone broth - I've done a post on this before and if you're interested you should read it! Bone broth is rich in collagen, a natural protein found in the body but as we age, it declines. It also supports your skin, hair, nails, and joints! I've linked my favorites below,
- reach for foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids. These include avocados 🥑, wild-caught salmon, walnuts, and sardines!
- probiotics aren't just supplements! they're found in foods like sauerkraut, fermented veggies, and cultured yogurts!
with all of this being said, one of the best things you can do for your gut health is dealing emotional and physical stress in a healthy way. Stress is inevitable! It's our job to take that stress and deal with it in a healthy way that nourishes our bodies.
give these tips a try and tag me on Instagram when you do @nellamoon!