Toxic chemicals in candles: 

Candles are so delightful to have throughout your home but most don’t realize that a lot of the most popular candles are filled with wax loaded with paraffin which is extremely toxic when burned… which ends up floating all-around your home. 

This is why I took the initiative and opted for non-toxic, soy wax for nellamoon. There’s no need to have to choose between a lovely scented home and breathing in toxins. 

Here’s the rundown on most candles found on the shelves…

While they smell great, most are filled with a toxic wax derived from petroleum, coal, or other toxic oils. Not knowing these facts, you might buy one, take it home, light it, and before you know it, your entire home is filled with harsh toxins that go straight into your lungs.

Because the lungs are covered by a very thin layer called pleura. Because this layer is so thin, it can become easily harmed. In addition to the layer over the lunch, the lungs themselves are made of sponge-like tissue. And what do sponges do? They absorb. Meaning, what you breathe is absorbed like a sponge, so choose what you breathe in wisely (when you can, of course). 

So, my advice to you is always to consider what you’re breathing in. We are all so worried about how we look on the outside that we don’t take the time to think about what it looks on the inside. Your body is the only home that you’ll have for the rest of your life. Take care of it, love it, and nourish it. 


Arielle, founder of nellamoon 

June 11, 2020 — Arielle Ricci